Ocean Tomo Founding Chairman James E. Malackowski joins luminaries like Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Edison, Lulin Gao, Birch Bayh, and Randall R. Rader in the Intellectual Property Hall of Fame.
June 23, 2022; Chicago, IL: Ocean Tomo, LLC, a Part of J.S. Held, celebrates the recognition of James E. Malackowski for his work to establish intellectual property (IP) as one of the key business assets of the 21st Century. Along with Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Mr. Malackowski was chosen by the IP Hall of Fame Academy from a list of nominees put forward by the global IP community for induction into the IP Hall of Fame. The Academy further recognized Mr. Malackowski with the Q. Todd Dickinson Award, which honors industry leaders who have made significant contributions to IP as a business asset.
Mr. Malackowski joins a remarkable collection of luminaries who have been recognized by induction into the IP Hall of Fame, including:
- Edward Coke, acclaimed as a key figure in the emergence of the modern free-market economy in England, author of the Statute of Monopolies of 1624, which provided the basis for the distinction between patents of invention and patents awarded by the sovereign
- Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US President, author of the first US patent law, and first head of the US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Thomas Edison, one of the greatest inventors and industrial leaders in history, holder of 1093 patents and credited with the first practical electrical lighting
- Lulin Gao, considered by many as one of the principal architects of China’s IP system, founding Commissioner of China’s State IP Office
- Birch Bayh, former US Senator; co-sponsor of the pivotal Bayh-Dole Act 1980 which allowed US universities and non-profit organizations to own and commercialize inventions that were created with federal funding
- Randall R. Rader, Ocean Tomo Advisor and former Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Mr. Malackowski’s has contributed to the development of intellectual property as a business asset over the last three decades. His work includes:
- 1987 – organizing the first national practice to offer intellectual property valuations at a time when the Big-8 accountancies refused to address this growing asset class;
- 1993 – creating the first intellectual property strategy consulting group offering Intellectual Property Quality Management services to large Fortune 500 clients;
- 1999 – founding the first private equity advisory partnership to originate large-scale investments based on underlying intellectual capital;
- 2002 – establishing the first national investment banking practice, in partnership with a leading Wall Street firm, dedicated exclusively to patent-based structured finance;
- 2005 – leading the creation of the Intangible Asset Market Value Study, reflecting the intangible asset components of S&P 500 market value;
- 2006 – establishing a Live Public Auction Marketplace for Intellectual Property rights which was recognized as a “forum of commerce” and became an industry-leading venue for patent transactions and price discovery;
- 2006 – creating the nation’s first index based on the value of Intellectual Property, the Ocean Tomo 300® Patent Index (NYSE: OTPAT), acknowledged by the American Stock Exchange as “the first major, board-based market equity index to be launched in 35 years”;
- 2006 – in collaboration with the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) and Royal Philips Electronics (Philips), creating the Chicago-based, Intellectual Property Exchange International (IPXI) as the world’s first financial exchange with an Intellectual Property focus;
- 2011 – collaborating with Illinois Institute of Technology to create the Masters in IP Management & Markets degree program; and
- 2016 – creating Ocean Tomo Investment Group, an independent licensed broker-dealer under federal and state securities law.
Mr. Malackowski has substantial experience as a Board Director for leading technology corporations and research organizations as well as companies with critical brand management issues. He is Past President of The Licensing Executives Society International, Inc. More recently, Mr. Malackowski has focused his non-for-profit efforts with organizations leveraging science and innovation for the benefit of children and students, including those located in lesser developed countries. He has served since 2002 as a Trustee or Director of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Inc., an organization providing summer enrichment programs for more than 100,000 students annually. For more than ten years Mr. Malackowski served as a Director of Chicago’s Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute, advancing the organization’s agenda to measure and report the impact of its pediatric research. Earlier this year he completed service as a Member of the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering Council at the University of Chicago.
Mr. Malackowski is a frequent speaker on emerging technology markets and related financial measures. He has addressed mass media audiences including Bloomberg Morning Call, Bloomberg Evening Market Pulse, Bloomberg Final Word, CNBC Closing Bell, CNBC On the Money, CNBC Street Signs, CNBC World Wide Exchange, CBS News Radio and Fox Business National Television as well as other recognized news-based internet video channels.
As an inventor, Mr. Malackowski has more than twenty issued U.S. patents. He is a frequent instructor for graduate studies on IP management and markets and a Summa Cum Laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame majoring in accountancy and philosophy. Mr. Malackowski is Certified/Accredited in Financial Forensics, Business Valuation and Blockchain Fundamentals. He is a Certified Licensing Professional and a Registered Certified Public Accountant in the State of Illinois. Mr. Malackowski has been certified to receive United States Sensitive Security Information (SSI) as governed by Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations.
About Ocean Tomo
Established in 2003, Ocean Tomo, LLC provides Financial Expert, Management Consulting, and Advisory services related to intellectual property (IP) and other intangible assets; corporate accounting investigations; regulatory and reporting obligations; solvency and restructuring; and contractual or competition disputes.
Practice offerings address economic damage calculations and testimony; accounting investigations and financial forensics; technology and intangible asset valuation; strategy and risk management consulting; mergers and acquisitions; debt and equity private placement; and IP brokerage.
Intangible assets comprise 90 percent of business value but are also subject to significant impairment due to enterprise and regulatory compliance risk. Ocean Tomo assists clients – corporations, law firms, governments, and institutional investors – in realizing Intellectual Capital Equity® value broadly defined.
Ocean Tomo is a part of J.S. Held, a global consulting firm. With more than 100 offices globally, J.S. Held assists clients – corporations, insurers, law firms, governments, and institutional investors – on complex technical, scientific, and financial matters across all assets and value at risk.